4 Ways to Tie Your Boat Shoes
Boat Safe is a community supported site. We may earn affiliate comission from links on this page, but we have confidence in all recommended products.
If you are new to boat shoes you may not be aware that they are notoriously difficult to tie. If you have a pair of Sperry boat shoes in particular then you may have had trouble with the leather laces. A high quality boat shoe like Sperrys always comes with leather laces. Leather is not like the laces in traditional shoes. Leather will come loose from normal knots very easily. That means that if you have Sperry boat shoes or a similar boat shoe you need to learn some more complicated knots. But if you’re used to sailing knots, this should be a breeze.
- Start by making a loop and cross the lace in the front of the shoe.
- Take the other lace and make a second loop.
- Lace the second loop through the first one from the back.
- Pull the loop tightly and then repeat twice more.
- Tuck the end of the lace into the loop at the end of each knot.
- Tuck the end of chains into one another.
- Fold the lace to make a loop and then twist it.
- Wrap the other lace around your loop five times.
- Run the end of your lease through the top of the loop and pull the end of the lace while pushing the knot to tighten it.
- If you want to clean it up, trim off the extra lace.
- Make a square knot by crossing your lace left over right and then right over left over left.
- Form a loop with one of the laces.
- Tie the other lace around the loop three times.
- Tuck in the end and tighten it.
- Cross the left shoe lace over the right. Then wrap the left over and under the right before pulling both laces in opposite directions.
- Take the left lace and form a one inch loop next to the starting knot.
- Bring the right lace in front of the loop and circle it around the base of the loop.
- Make a loop out of the right lace and inserted into the circle you created, pulling it through loosely. This is essentially just a normal shoelace knot.
- Wrap the right loop over and then around the left loop and inserted into the circle again.
- Take one loop in each hand and pull them tightly in opposite directions.
The Bottom Line
A good,tight knot will keep your boat shoes secure. And, as you can see, the right knot can be very eye-catching as well with a nice, clean pair of shoes. Knowing the right way to tie your Sperry shoes just takes a little practice.