LunaSea Yacht : An Insider’s Guide
LunaSea was built in 2017 with naval architecture by Feadship shipyard. Both the interior and exterior design was handled by Redman Whiteley Dixon. The hull is made out of steel while the superstructure is made out of aluminum. The vessel also features teak laid decks. The yacht is known for having one of the most extensive toy selections for a yacht of its size and also the eye-catching pool on deck which we’ll discuss in more detail later on. She’s registered in the Cayman Islands.
Who Owns the LunaSea Yacht?
The LunaSea is owned by Yahn Bernier, the millionaire developer and director at Valve Corporation. Valve is a video game developer and the company is the source of most of Bernier’s $500 million fortune.
The yacht was originally built for John Symond, an Australian businessman known for founding Aussie Home Loans financial company. Under his ownership the vessel was known as Hasna. However, Symonds put the yacht up for sale in 2019 and in 2020 Bernier bought it and renamed it LunaSea, a play, of course, on the word lunacy.
How Big is the Yacht LunaSea?
LunaSea is a substantial yacht that measures an impressive 239’ 6” in length. Her beam is just over 39 feet and she has a gross tonnage of 1,577 GT. While she’s not the largest yacht in the world by a good stretch, she definitely qualifies as what many people would call a superyacht.
How Much Did the LunaSea Cost?
Though the purchase price for the LunaSea is hard to nail down in terms of when it was first purchased by John Symond, he sold it to Yahn Bernier in 2020 for about 99 million Euros. That works out to around $110 million American dollars. There are many more expensive yachts out there like the Azzam or Jeff Bezo’s yacht, but this is clearly still quite pricey.
Can You Charter the LunaSea?
The LunaSea is available for charter. Large luxury yachts will often be able to charter for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, a number of countries offer tax breaks for yachts if they are registered as charter yachts, which is appealing to owners. The other reason is that, as a yacht owner, you can make a lot of your yearly operating costs by chartering.
The LunaSea costs about $800,000 per week plus expenses to charter up to around $875,000 in the high season. Normal yacht costs for a vessel of this size can run up to $4 million a year or more for fuel, crew salaries and so on. So a few charter weeks per year and the yacht can be a net gain for the owner.
How Fast is the LunaSea and What Engines Does it Use?
The LunaSea runs on twin 1,850 hp MTU 12V4000 M53 engines. That provides a cruising speed of 14 knots and a maximum speed of 16 knots. The vessel has a range of up to 5,500 nautical miles at 12 knots thanks to the 167,110 liter fuel tanks.
What’s the Interior of the LunaSea Yacht Like?
The superyacht LunaSea has room on board for 12 guests in 7 suites. This includes the master suite which is located on the main deck. Beyond that, there is one VIP cabin, two double cabins and two twin cabins for guests.
The interior design has been described as “beach-chic” and it allows for easy transition from formal gatherings to family trips to even party atmosphere if need be. The overall color scheme and esthetic is laid back with a lot of soft, neutral tones and gold accents.
The full beam master suite includes a number of features including its own study, a lounge and dressing room as well as a his and her bathroom set up. It’s the list of overall amenities that really make the LunaSea standout as a real luxury experience, however.
Features and Amenities of the Motor Yacht Lunasea
There are plenty of features on board the LunaSea for guests to enjoy. Check out some of the most noteworthy ones here.
- There’s a sizable, state-of-the-art movie theater that can seat 10 guests.
- A glass-fronted, 8 meter infinity pool is a prominent feature on the aft deck. The glass front end serves as a waterfall feature and also allows light into the beach club located below.
- There’s a well-appointed spa that features a hair salon, a masseuse and more.
- A large beach club has plenty of room for relaxing, soaking up sun or enjoying drinks.
- The well-equipped gym allows great views of the ocean thanks to fold down sea terraces so you can exercise while you enjoy the sea air.
- The sun deck jacuzzi allows further relaxation under the sun and is next to an indoor/outdoor bar so refreshments are always close at hand. It’s surrounded by a large area of lounge space as well.
- A elevator that allows guests to travel conveniently between decks
- Dining areas are located on the sun deck and also the bridge deck aft
- There is a fully-stocked bar in the main salon to provide an extensive selection of mixed drinks and also a sizable wine collection as well.
Toys You Can Use on Your Luxury Yacht Charter
Most yachts have a variety of water toys for guests to enjoy but LunaSea is really bringing the fun to the next level, which probably stems from the owner’s experience in the world of gaming and having fun. This lists includes a number of items you won’t find on most yachts as well as a surplus of items that may be available on other yachts but not usually this abundantly. Suffice it to say that the LunaSea is about having as much fun as possible when you take it out on the water. Check out this remarkable and extensive list of toys charter guests can play with on the yacht.
- A pair of Sea Doo Spark 90HP Jet-Skis
- 4 different F5 Seabobs
- 5 Jobe Bamboo Paddleboards
- A Jobe Omnia Kneeboard
- A trio of Liquid Force Trip Wake Boards
- Connelly Impuls 68” Water-Ski
- An O’Brien Junior Vortex Water-Ski
- A wakeskate
- A 12 meter tall Freestyle cruiser Waterslide
- An Aquaglide Inflatable trampoline
- A pair of two-person Connelly Doughnuts
- A one-person Spin Cycle Doughnut
- Scuba gear for 7 people
- A Jellyfish pool
- Snorkeling gear for just as many
- Extensive fishing gear
- An inflatable jet ski dock
- Four different tenders including:
- A 29’6 400 HP Vikal Limo Tender
- A 26’3 435 HP Vikal Open Tender
- A 42′ Invincible Sportfisher
- A 36’1 RIB
The Bottom Line
The yacht LunaSea was built by FeadShip in 2017. It was commissioned by John Symond and then bought by Yahn Bernier in 2020 for about $110 million. The yacht is nearly 240 feet long and has room for 12 guests. If you’re interested you can charter LunaSea starting at $800,000 per week.
The yacht features an 8 meter infinity pool, a movie theater, a sundeck Jacuzzi and also a remarkable variety of water toys for guests to enjoy.