The Best Stand up Paddle Board to buy in 2021: Your Ultimate Guide
Updated on January 7, 2021. In
Boat Safe is a community supported site. We may earn comission from links on this page, but we have confidence in all recommended products.
Paddle boarding provides something for everyone. You have free rein to head out for an exhilarating paddle on a calm lake or catch the ocean eaves that put your mind at ease. Perhaps you’d like to delight in quick-pace paddling to get in your day’s workout or try out paddle yoga. The world is your oyster!
But, with the barrage of options to choose from, selecting the best stand up paddle board can be an uphill task. And, it’s the key to your enjoyment. Luckily, you’ve come to the right place as we explore the 10 best products in the market and a few points to consider when selecting a paddle board.
1. Serene Life Inflatable Paddle Board
Check Latest Price
If you’re looking for a lightweight product that’s easy to carry, the Serene Life Inflatable Paddle Board that weighs 19 pounds is right up your alley. But, don’t let its weight fool you because it can comfortably support up to 275 pounds. Experienced paddlers can exceed this capacity. So, you have free rein to bring along a passenger for the ride.
With a width of 30 inches, the Serene Life Inflatable Paddle Board is significantly faster than the 32-33” counterparts. And it can be dismantled into three components and is entirely adjustable.
What sets this product apart from the pack is that it comes with necessary accessories for a fun-filled adventure on the water. So, you’ll find a lightweight fiberglass paddle, inflation pump, leash, and a carry backpack.
The paddleboard contains deck bungee cords that sit in front of the storing gear. Everything is a snug fit in the back for enhanced storage and portability. With thick padding on the deck, you’re assured of all-day comfort.
When it comes to aesthetics, the Serene Life Inflatable Paddle Board is available in 3 colors.
- Designed from the inflatable and durable PVC
- Supports 275 pounds or more
- Narrower and faster than other models
- Fully adjustable
- Useful accessories included
- Easy to carry and lightweight
- Thick padding for optimum comfort
- No deck bungee cords in the rear
2. South Bay Premium Soft-Top Paddle Board
Check Latest Price
Are you on the quest for a long-lasting product? Then the South Bay Premium Soft-Top Paddle Board is your Holy Grail. Designed from durable Polyethylene plastic, this paddle board has dimensions of 10.4 feet and 34 inches for unmatched stability for all users of different skill levels. To bring your cooler and other necessities for a day on the water, you’ll find deck bungee cords at the front of the board.
What makes the South Bay Premium Soft-Top Paddle Board stand out from the pack is that it comes with a storage bag and adjustable paddle. And, the built-in ergonomic handle that has recesses makes it a more comfortable and less of a hassle to transport the board to and from the water. The rubber tail bumper for secure storage, bamboo body armor to curb bubbling and other damages, and a heat-release valve enhance longevity.
- Supports users of different ages and skills by up to 350 pounds
- Built with durability in mind
- Squared-off rails for enhanced stability
- Provides strong balance
- Adjustable paddle and storage bag included
- Unique design
- Bungee strap system on the nose
- More expensive than other models
- Susceptible to dents if mishandled
- Lacks fins
Best Premium Choice
3. Roc Inflatable Stand up Paddle Board
Check Latest Price
It’s a comfortable and convenient option that’s designed from the topnotch military grade material. What sets the Roc Inflatable Stand up Paddle Board apart from the pack is that it’s built from the same materials as boards that cost nearly double. With dimensions of 10.32 feet in length and 6-inch wide, the board is all-rounded to cater to people of different skill levels.
It has a weight capacity of up to 300 pounds. Being 20% lighter than other models in the market, the Roc Inflatable Stand up Paddle Board weighs 17.5 lbs and is useful in rivers, oceans, and freshwater lakes.
The handy accessories ensure you’re armed with everything you require to have a fun-filled day on the water. They include a safety leash, a waterproof bag to hold essentials such as keys and a smartphone, a collapsible aluminum paddle, a hand pump, and a backpack.
- Comes with a three-piece adjustable paddle
- Includes a dry bag to store valuables below the deck rigging
- 9-inch center fin for excellent tracking
- Delivers unrivaled durability and stability
- Handy accessories included
- Longer and broader for increased stability
- Only suitable for flat water or small waves
- Aggressive tread
4. NIXY Newport Paddle Board
Check Latest Price
With this excellent board, you can travel anywhere and revel in every moment in the water. And, providing unmatched durability, the versatile 10.6-foot long NIXY Newport Paddle Board allows you to explore new places for years down the road.
Weighing only 30 lbs when fully inflated, this board is one of the most lightweight options in the market. So, it saves you the hassle of relying on the help of another person to transport it to and from the water and to set up.
Designed from topnotch quality materials, the NIXY Newport Paddle Board incorporates double-layer drop-stitch technology to deliver utmost resilience. For a sturdy ride regardless of what Mother Nature throws, the stand up paddle board can inflate up to 20 PSI.
The board comes with top quality and useful accessories. They range from detachable fins, triple action dual chamber hand pump, multipurpose backpack, shoulder strap, and coiled hybrid leash, to repair kit.
- Backed by a 2-year warranty
- Sturdy board
- Drop-stitch technology for remarkable resilience
- Inflatable by up to 20 PSI
- One of the lightest boards in the market
- Weight limit of 350 lbs and above
- Significantly wider for better stability
- The main fin is cumbersome to install
- Not budget-friendly
5. MaxKare Inflatable Paddle Board
Check Latest Price
Built to easily inflate by up to 15 PSI in only 10 minutes, the MaxKare Inflatable Paddle Board has double the efficiency of generic models in the market. Once inflated, the board weighs 17 pounds with dimensions of 10 feet X 30 inches X 6 inches. And, it has a capacity of up to 330 pounds which. While the 30-inch width provides increased stability, the wider tail and narrower mid-section ushers in faster glide and easier navigation.
New ultra-light construction double-layer, soft, PVC deck pad delivers an enhanced grip without compromising on comfort. With drop stitch technology, the military-grade PVC cushion layer makes the MaxKare Inflatable Paddle Board steady, safe, and an amazing shock absorber.
Furthermore, it comes with essential accessories that every paddler needs. They include a travel backpack, a high-pressure bi-directional pump, a repair kit, adjustable aluminum paddle, and a coil leash.
- All-round boat
- Easily inflates in 10 minutes
- Impressively stable and flexible
- Comfortable and soft
- 2-year warranty included
- Faster glide and easier to navigate
- Some sections get crimped easily
- Deflates after every use
6. Freein Inflatable Stand up Paddle Board
Check Latest Price
With dimensions of 10.2 feet (length) and 31 inches (width), the Freein Inflatable Stand up Paddle Board makes stabilizing and balancing a breeze. It’s outfitted with three bottom panel fins that make handling and steering a walk in the park. Providing impressive surf control means you’ll be skimming and gliding like a water creature with this paddle board brand.
The Freein Inflatable Stand up Paddle Board has double layer drop stitching that has been used in airplane wings, floating docks, rescue lifting bags, and other crucial applications. It attributes its impressive lightness and unrivaled rigidity to a network of countless polyester threads.
Sidewalls cover the finished inflated cavity, thus creating a panel that supports a significant weight capacity while maintaining portability and lightness upon the deflation.
The Non-slip traction pad that sits on the board’s surface provides your feet with a firm grip upon standing. In turn, this enhances your balance on the board and control on the water, which keeps injuries or accidents at bay.
You can assemble the Inflatable Stand up Paddle Board in less than 5 minutes. And it inflates to 15 PSI for optimum rigidity, after which it can accommodate users of up to 362 pounds, with ease. The recessed handle comes in handy for carrying the board to the water’s edge. It comes with useful accessories that all users will love.
So, an ankle cuff coiled safety leash, double-action hand pump high-pressure with a pressure gauge, travel backpack for hassle-free transportation. Designed with versatility in mind, this inflatable board is useful in racing, touring, surfing, rivers, canals, and lakes, yoga, and choppier waters.
- Full refund within 30 days of purchase
- Backed by a 1-year warranty
- Compact and convenient
- Maintains shape
- More durable and sturdy
- Delivers unmatched stability and balance
- Repair kit not included
- Poorly written manual
Best Overall Choice
7. Swonder Ultra Steady Stand up Paddle Board
Check Latest Price
With dimensions of 10-feet X 32inches X 6 inches, the Swonder Ultra Steady Stand up Paddle Board ushers in confident water gliding with increased stability. The elastic bungee design, a maximum weight capacity of 275 pounds, and a non-slip deck allow you to embark on a vast assortment of exhilarating activities. They range from fishing, snorkeling, and spear-fishing to recreational paddling, all in different weather conditions.
The Swonder Ultra Steady Stand up Paddle Board is lighter than other models in the market, weighing only 17.2 pounds. And, it comes with a built-in handle that makes it a breeze to carry. Other innovative features range from the dense drop-stitch system, military-grade PVC that has a double-layered structure, and a broad EVA deck for enhanced stability and strength.
You’ll also find a repair kit, hand pump, GRI detachable center fin, and a 10-foot safety coil leash. So, these save you the hassle of hunting down additional accessories and can hit the water right off the bat.
- Hassle-free 45-day free return
- Doesn’t lose stability
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Perfect for beginners
- Bungee and additional D-rings provide more space for dry bags
- Easy to store
- Durable and sturdy construction
- Paddle feels flimsy
- Pump is susceptible to damage
Best Budget Choice
8. Goplus Inflatable Paddle Board
Check Latest Price
Crafted from topnotch drop-stitching PVA with EVA deck, the Goplus Inflatable Paddle Board prevents you from sliding you every time a big wave hits. It has the uncanny ability to withstand immense pressure, deforming, or bursting at any point. With a bungee storage area and built-in handle, carrying the board is a walk in the park.
The extendible paddle (from 67” to 83”) offers unmatched convenience. And the three tail fins that sit on the paddle’s back provide enhanced balance and friction. So, safety concerns are the least of your worries. As a multipurpose option, the Goplus Inflatable Paddle Board comes in handy in fishing, surfing, water yoga, as it cruises through rivers, oceans, and lakes.
- Easy to store and carry Doesn’t come with a leash
- Suitable for all skill levels and water environments
- Easy to setup
- Sturdy as it’s designed from high-quality materials
- Fins boost balance and friction
- Remains intact under immense pressure
9. FBSPORT Inflatable Premium Stand up Paddle Board
Check Latest Price
The lightweight and broad design of the FBSPORT Inflatable Premium board makes it a worthwhile investment for all water sports enthusiasts. With a width of 30 inches and an optimum length of 10 feet, this board is comfortable enough for a 9-year old child to carry.
As seen in other excellent quality products in the market, the FBSPORT Inflatable Premium board is built from double-wall fabric that incorporates drop-stitching technology coupled with a soft EVA foam deck. In turn, you get a product that has unmatched resistance from abrasion and the harmful UV rays.
It also comes with paddling necessities such as a carry-on bag, a hand pump, and a safety leash. So, whether you want to go snorkeling, cruising, touring, or spear-fishing, this paddle board will be your go-to for every scenario.
- Lightweight and wide design Its lightweight nature can make stability hard at first, for beginners
- Premium paddling accessories included
- Excellent maneuverability
- Designed from durable and sturdy material
- Ideal for all skill levels
- Suitable for kids and adults alike
- Portable enough to easily carry on a plane, train, or bus
10. Murtisol Pro Inflatable Paddle Board
Check Latest Price
The color-matching premium accessories and Murtisol Pro Inflatable Paddle Board is a heaven for anyone who finds unique-looking gear a sight for sore eyes. The vibrant green is eye-catching when touring, fishing, or enjoying water yoga.
While the 280-pound maximum weight capacity doesn’t sufficient, you’ll be pleased to learn that the board can accommodate two people or you and your furry friend. Inflating the board is a hassle-free, 2-minute process courtesy of the two-chamber triple action pump.
The Murtisol Pro Inflatable Paddle Board was built with durability in mind. It’s made from military-grade, dense PVC that’s the go-to option for rigidity. The crocodile textured deck pad, along with the D-ring and EVA bump, regulates your balance upon standing on the board.
Put your essentials in the bungee storage section and select an ideal location for paddle boarding head over to the destination for a fun-filled adventure.
- Water-resistant carry-on bag included
- Beautiful design
- Easy and quick to inflate
- Built from durable and dense material for increased rigidity
- Comes with full accessories
- Anti-slip top deck for better stability and balance
Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Stand Up Paddle Board
Regardless of your ambitions, having the ideal board is the key to your enjoyment. So, this buying guide delves into a few essential factors to think about when making a selection.
It determines how it maneuvers. It’s a no-brainer that wider paddle boards deliver more stability. But, what you may not realize is that you have to compromise on handling and speed. Wider boards are slower.
Typically, stand up paddle boards have widths that fall anywhere between 25 and 36 inches. But, 30-33 inches is the most common. As a tip, pair your body type to your board. For instance, if you’re a lighter and shorter paddler, then a narrower option is a better choice as it’s easier to maneuver. Contrarily, a heavier and taller person, should opt for a more stable and wider board.
It’s the main determining factor of a paddle board’s speed and handling. As seen in kayaks, the shorter the board, the easier it is to maneuver and turn. Moreover, if you’re on the quest for an all-round board that can be used by people of all ages and skill levels, then 10-12 feet is an ideal size. Consider the board length in terms of your car type, distance to the shore (longer boards are harder to carry, particularly in windy conditions), and storage space in your home.
Expressed in liters, the volume of a paddle board is a marker of its floating ability when weight is placed on it. So, the greater the volume, the more weight it supports. Keep this in mind if you intend to use the board with a friend, family member, or your dog.
It’s essential because if you’re overly heavy for a paddle board, it’ll unarguably ride lower in the water, thus rendering it inefficient for paddling. So, consider the total amount of weight that you’ll put on the board. It includes the weight of the gear and other necessities you’ll bring along for the ride.
Upon finding a paddleboard with your ideal width and length, it’s time to consider the thickness. It impacts the overall weight capacity and volume of a board. If two boards have the same width and length but vary in thickness, the thicker option has a higher volume compared to the thinner board. And, greater volume means higher weight capacity.
They enhance the stability and tracking of a paddle board. As a rule of thumb, bigger fins with longer front edges and wider bases usher in increased stability and better tracking compared to smaller fins. Contrarily, smaller fins deliver enhanced maneuverability. For better storage, we recommend choosing boards with detachable fins.
It plays a major role in determining the performance of a paddle board on the water. While some models are a hybrid of both, most boards have displacement or planing hull.
- Planing Hull: With a striking similarity to surfboards, planing hulls are wide and flat. They’re built to ride on top of the water at optimum maneuverability. If your goal is to surf, leisure paddling, water yoga, or explore whitewater, then a paddle board with a planing hull is an ideal fit.
- Displacement Hull: As seen in canoes or kayaks, paddle boards with displacement hulls feature a bow or nose. The hull effortlessly cuts through the water like butter, pushing it around the nose to the edges of the board. Thus, this boosts efficiency by creating smoother and faster rides. A displacement hull’s efficiency demands reduced effort compared to the planing counterpart. So, this allows you to travel longer at increased speeds. It also delivers straight tracking but with less maneuverability compared to a planing hull. If applications that range from racing and fitness paddling to touring that require paddling speed and efficiency are essential to you, then a displacement hull is a better choice.
To Wrap It Up
Now that you know the best paddle board models in the market along with the key buying factors to consider, it’s time to get the ball rolling. But remember, paddle boarding is meant to make your experience on the water a fun-filled adventure. So, be smart and safe as you embark on your journey to becoming a paddle boarder.